Some things I’ve observed as we adjust to our new pandemic reality:
- Toilet paper apparently cures Covid-19 – NOT!!! The fact that people were fighting over toilet paper in stores makes me sick. Remember how we all came together after 9/11? Shouldn’t we be sharing and helping each other? My heart breaks knowing that children are seeing this type of behavior. It’s bad enough we see it on Black Friday (or Shameful Thursday – when people go shopping after their Thanksgiving feast causing many to have to WORK on Thanksgiving).
- If we are going to self distance ourselves and follow the direction of the CDC, why do you need ALL of the hand sanitizer??? When you are stuck with hundreds of bottles of hand sanitizer and no food, what are you going to do? Trade hand sanitizer for food? Selfish.
- Why do we all of a sudden need hand washing instructions? What were you doing before Covid-19??? (Ew…I don’t want to know). Want go improve your hand washing and have fun doing it? Create your own 20 second hand washing song at www.washyourlyrics.com.
- The store being out of toilet paper and ramen noodles is not the fault of the 17-year-old or 77-year-old cashier or bagger at your local grocery store. Be kind to them for they have to hear the same demands and questions all day long.
- While we are at it, why don’t we be kind to EVERYONE?!?!?! Is it really that difficult?
- I’m tired of hearing people say things like “I’m not at risk so I’m going out” or “They just want to control us with fear”. Guess what…just because YOU aren’t at risk doesn’t mean you can’t be a CARRIER and contaminate someone who then goes home to a parent, spouse, or child fighting cancer or asthma. Boom. You just killed someone with your selfishness.
- People are actually STEALING MASKS AND HAND SANITIZER from hospitals, doctors offices, and public places (at least one library that I know of) that offer it to their patrons to keep them safe. I’m floored by this. The masks are needed by healthcare professionals that are taking care of the sick and putting themselves at risk to do so. How much of an ass do you have be to do that???
- Internet companies have been stepping up and offering free internet service to those who can’t afford it so they can home school.
- Online learning companies have been offering their services for free to help children keep learning during school closings.
- Can’t go to the movies, the mall, the bars. Can’t watch sports because almost all of them are cancelled. Guess what you can do:
- Learn a new language (check your local library. They may have Rosetta Stone or Pronunciator for you to learn for FREE.)
- Learn to play the guitar/piano/harmonica (check YouTube!)
- Read a book – physical book or electronic. It doesn’t matter.
- Write a book
- Learn to crochet or knit (YouTube it or check out http://www.creativebug.com)
- Write a letter and send it snail mail (You can even order stamps online to be delivered to your home or print your own label at http://www.usps.com)
- Clean out your closets and prepare a donation box (thrift shops, goodwill, Salvation Army). They may even pick it up!
- Check on your neighbors
- Share a virtual trip or craft project by going online to:
Monterey Bay Aquarium – https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/live-cams
McHarper Manor – https://www.mcharpermanor.com/blog
Lunch Doodle with Mo Willems – https://tinyurl.com/wfkarpt
Metropolitan Opera – metopera.org
You can also google virtual museum tours, video story time, and many more cool things to keep your kids or yourself from going stir crazy.
Finally – some handy rules:
If you are sick – stay home.
Wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds.
If you are told to self isolate/quarantine – do it!!!
Cough and sneeze into your elbow.
And because it is so important – STAY HOME!!!!!